Wednesday, October 12, 2011

More on Elections and the Irrationality of Fear


Elections happened this past Sunday in Cameroon. It was interesting to be able to go to the polls with my aunt and witness how the process runs here. That morning we were going to go to church, but because of the rules on Election Day (no assembling in big groups from 8am until 6pm when the polls close) there was no way any of us were going to church at 6am that morning. Also, all the businesses were prohibited from opening during voting hours, even though some were secretly open and only let people in when the police weren't patrolling the area....Instead of going to church, we went on a run around a soccer field near the house. On our way back home we stopped at the polling place in the neighborhood, which happened to be my cousins’ old elementary school. There were lists in front of each classroom that were partly divided up alphabetically and partly randomly. Voters have to have their ID and voter card. I asked my aunt what the significance of a voter card is if everyone is required to vote with his or her national ID card also. She said that voter cards used to be relevant but now it’s just another formality. The problem is that many citizens’ voter cards have typos. For example, the voter’s first name is spelled wrong, their mother’s maiden name is wrong, or even their birthday is wrong. Not only does this produce false information, but in an effort to correct these mistakes, some people have multiple voter cards and the inaccurate ones are still distributed. So, yes, people vote multiple times since they actually may have different voter cards under their name. We asked one of the election officials from ELECAM (Elections Cameroon, the organization in charge of conducting elections) how they control people from voting more than once and he said that since they take everyone’s fingerprint after having voted, the ink left on their thumb is proof that they have voted. However, my cousin and me discovered that the ink is very easy to remove…so the system isn’t exactly foolproof. Nevertheless, we came back later that day and my aunt and her mother-in-law voted. In each room, the voter was given 23 sheets of paper, one for each candidate in varying colors, and an envelope. Then the voter goes behind a curtain and places their favorite sheet in the envelope and then put the sealed envelope in a clear box. Akaila and Dominique (my cousin) were allowed to take pictures of them putting their ballots in the clear box (given to ELECAM from the EU to reduce corruption during voting). Although it should only take 24 hours or less to count all the ballots, ELECAM announced that results would be announced 15 days from the election. One of the technicians in the lab said facetiously that the 15-day period gives them enough time to produce a desirable outcome (aka Paul Biya remains president). So at this point everyone knows what the result is going to be, it’s just a matter of officially announcing it.



Paul Biya, the incumbent presidential candidate. Every main road has about 4 billboards like this...that's a lot of the same thing, especially downtown.




On a completely different note…

For those of you who have seen me around bugs, you know that I DO NOT cope well in their presence. So far, Akaila and I have already have our fair share of roach and spider attacks (ok, maybe attack isn’t the right word but if you saw the sizes of these insects, you’d understand). Apparently roaches fly…and come in mutant-like sizes. Who knew. They also are not really bothered by intense roach/mosquito/ant/etc. spray unless you spray them for at least a full minute. No matter how much time I spend here, I don’t think I will EVER get used to seeing roaches, especially mouse-size roaches (I’m not joking). On the spider front, we saw a spider (while we were visiting my grandma in Edea) as big as my palm (again, not joking) and usually I can bring myself to kill a spider with my shoe, but this one looked like it could eat me. Akaila was having a panic attack at this point as well. So I called my cousin to come kill it for us; she laughed at us and killed it like it was nothing. Slightly embarrassing, but that’s why fear is irrational, right? In our apartment we have a pretty nice agreement: I (muster up the strength to) kill the spiders and Akaila tackles the roaches. So far it has been working pretty well but I’ll keep you posted on any abnormal insect encounters…

No comments:

Post a Comment