Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Life As I Know It



The butcher at the meat stand cutting up some cow penis for us to enjoy

Hey blog friends!

Here’s what’s going on in my life right now:

1.     Last week we ate cow genitals
-       We went to the same barbeque place we were at in my last post, but this time, Collins, the driver told us we should try something else. So I asked him what it was and he said he wouldn’t tell me until we tried it…being one to try almost anything (what’s the worst that can happen? I have traveler’s insurance and ciproflaxcin handy for any potential stomach problems), I put a piece of unidentifiable meat in my mouth. I was staring him down as I chewed and finally, after I swallowed the piece (it was delicious!) he told me I had just eaten cow penis. Yeah, cow penis wrapped in intestines too. So, naturally we sat down at the restaurant and bought a bunch of it:

Cow penis with some condiments and chai on the side. Pretty tasty!!
 

Of course we made penis jokes throughout the entire meal...we couldn't help it lol. Things like, "Hmmm, I don't think my boyfriend would be too happy to find out what I just tasted..."

2.     People like to budge a lot (or cut in front of you in line, which ever you prefer)
- I’ve noticed this a lot here and it’s time for me to comment on it. There’s a lot of things I take advantage of in the States: fast Internet, drinking tap water, driving through traffic, etc. but something I didn’t know I take advantage of until recently is that people always wait their turn in line in public. Not the case in Cameroon, at least not in Yaounde. Plenty of times I have been VISIBLY in line for something and someone comes from behind and walks right in front of me as if they didn’t see me standing there when they walked up. It’s kind of a shocking phenomenon to watch. The first time it happened, I was sure it was just a mistake but it’s happened multiple times: at the bakery, in front of a kiosk, at the hospital… Who knew a simple concept that Americans are taught in elementary school, even preschool, could have such importance in my life when it’s lacking in a different society.  

3.     Customer service does not exist (as far as I’m concerned) in Cameroon
- This is very much related to #2… Another American concept that is extremely important in everyday work life, but clearly not here. I expect a smile and friendly service when I go to a restaurant or ask for directions at an establishment, but many times the smallest amount of customer service is non-existent. Again, I didn’t know how important it was to me, but apparently it is. I was at a restaurant the other day and I felt like I was bothering the waitress who was waiting on me. That seems kind of backwards right? The waitress didn’t want to wait on me. At least that’s what her face was saying. I never knew how uncomfortable I could feel going up to someone behind a desk that says “renseignements” (information desk) who has a stank look on their face the entire time. It’s pretty discouraging. Nevertheless, I’ve learned to ignore people’s negative-looking facial expressions and proceed with my question/comment.

4.     The presidential election results came out almost 2 weeks after the election…with a result that everyone already knew
- One of the Supreme Court justices of Cameroon spent 9 FULL HOURS on TV (no breaks) announcing the election results in each department of each town in Cameroon…and with 23 candidates to list off (including their percentages in each department) that can take a loooooong time. I started watching it at 11 am last Friday expecting to get results within an hour or less, but after an hour and a half, I gave up. 9 hours later, Paul Biya was still the president (as he has been for about 3 decades).  There has been talk of a “revolution” but I don’t think Cameroonians want that for their country. That said, if anything happens, I will be on the first flight back across the Atlantic! :) 



The front page of the newspaper, Cameroon Tribune, the morning of the election results






My random comment of the day: 
The last time I saw a donkey was in the island of Lamu off the coast of Kenya...who knew the next time I would see one would be in the bustling city of Yaounde just frolicking through traffic, without a care in the world. Donkeys are living the life.

Oh, hey Mr. Donkey.



 

3 comments:

  1. Cow penis technical word is "wangala" hahahah...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in Ydé, it was called bangala; lol! never tasted it though.

    I've always found Ydé particularly lacking in friendly customer service. Bakeries, drycleaners, pharmacies, and other service point with a counter or a front desk could use some training in customer service. This is why I love open (outdoor) markets. However, I noticed that you get better customer service once you get out of Yde.
    Don't forget to bring back some bangala meat oooooooooh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew only these two women who posted comments here could use such .....local word for what you described Tosh. So you are telling us that you my niece, you ate cow genitals (bwangala to mix both names)? Dunno if I should tease you or just pretend :) But it is yummy though, by the time you come back, I'm quite sure your language will be more ghetto mokolo/ briqueterie :) too.
    It's refreshing to get news from home from a journal perspective, it gives that feeling guilt. Guilt to be so far, jealousy that you are there enjoying but working and I'm here in the cold with my issues. Can wait to go home again. Enjoy Tosh and you are doing a great job there. Bon courage.

    ReplyDelete